Wednesday 19 September 2012

Justin Quinnell Analysis

Context

Justin Quinnell who lives in Bristol is a very passionate photographer who created this image. He is a freelance, contempary photographer who was the first to use pinhole photography in 1998, and does work shops to inspire other people with his creativity. 

This photo was created using pinhole photography and is a landscape piece. I chose to analyse this photo because goes into the same theme as my pinhole photography.



Meaning 

I have used various websites to further my understanding of Justin Quinnell and his methods. These websites are: http://www.lomography.com/magazine/lifestyle/2010/06/16/passionate-pinholes-with-justin-quinnell

Whilst researching Justin I came across an interesting quote from someone who attended one of his classes. On the website they said "He is an inspiring (I don't use the term lightly) teacher, uses humour to great effect and is very sensitive to the needs of his students."

I like the majority of Justin Quinnells photography simply because it seems 'fun'. By this I mean that his work never seems to have a theme that is too serious. His work presents the fact that he has no limits as his work is often quite strange, random and sometimes quite childish. 


Aesthetic:

Justin was very creative with this photo as he made a small cigarette appear the same size as a building, which I think is fascinating as the building and the cigarette are completly different sizes. This effect has clearly been done using a particular angle, which is low to the ground.

Personal Response

The maini reason why I decided to analysethis picture is the difference in the scale sizes of the two main apsects to the picture; the building and cigarette. I also think that the blured round outline influences the way we see it, as it adds to the 'strange' type of theme he has presented. This piece of work has definately inspired me to create a photo with the same aspects; contrasting size.


This is the image I have created after being inspired by Justin Quinnell

No comments:

Post a Comment