Saturday 17 November 2012

Rene Magritte In-depth Analysis



Context: 
Magritte was a Belgian surrealist artist who became well known for his 'thought provoking' images. Originally he designed wallpapers, ads and posters, but he started painting after he recieved a contract from an art gallery. The purpose of his art was to allow the public to have a different view on things in life. He usually did this by placing floating objects in front of the face, and painted objects in unexpected contexts.

Personal Response: 
Rene Magritte has inspired me as my theme is dreams which relates to his theme of art; surrealism. I know this because he displays pictures in very unusual ways that would not be seen in real life. For example this image on the right; Personal Values.

Meaning:
I would associate this piece of work with the genre of 'conceptual art'. This is because the layout of them picture (the way the train is coming out of the wall) makes it seem as if it has a meaning. One meaning that it could have is 'time goes by'. This is because it is placed underneath a clock. I think that this work has a theme; surrealism. This is because when I researched Rene Magrittes surrealism art, I found this picture. The title: Time Transfixed gives me the idea that the train and clock symbolise something together.

Aesthetic:
I think that this work was done as a painting which makes it even more interesting as the shadows are clearly shown and all of the outlines of each shape are very sharp. 

Rene Magritte and Salvador Dali have both been inspirations to my diea of dreams as their, surrealist work relates to unreal things, like dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment