Saturday 17 November 2012

Salvador Dali In-depth Analysis


Context:
Salvador Dali was a Spanish painter who focused a lot on surrealism when painting. 

Dali (who was commonly known for his strange surrealist work) was a very talented draftsman. The majority of his paintings were based on the Renaissance. One of his paintings 'The Persistance 0f Memory' is the most favourited by the public and was done in 1931. He worked in various areas of art, which included sculpturing, photography as well as film. 

A phrase once said by Dali: ''love of everything that is gilded and excessive, my passion for luxury and my love of oriental clothes''.

Meaning:
The genre of art that I would associated this picture with is 'conceptual art'. This is because the way that the clocks are laying there,  possibly melting away make it seem as if Salvador Dali is trying to convey the idea that time is slowly slipping away/running out. To further my understanding of this picture I researched the meaning of it and found this phrase on wiki answers: 'Surrealist paintings are supposed to be dream like and inexplicable after reading this explanation I understand that there may not be an actual meaning to this picture. 

Aesthetics:
I believe that this image was done as a painting which adds extra effect to the picture, where the colours blend in at the background, and the way that the clocks have been made to look as if they're melting and folded.

Personal Response:
I have chosen to analyse this picture because I find it the most conceptual piece done by Salvador. Also it links to picture I previously analyse by Rene Magritte because (from my observations and opinions) they both have something to do with time going by.


No comments:

Post a Comment