Saturday 8 June 2013

Documentary Photography: Lin Osborn analysis


Rainbow by Lin Osborn

This art piece was made by a photographer named Lin Osborn. She previously received a scholarship to Harrow School of Art and then studied at Surrey Institute of Art and Design where she graduated with a BA Hons in Fine Art in 2001. Lin then went on to study at Winchester School of Art where her interest for photography became apparent to her and increased.

Whilst creating this image named 'Rainbow', Lin Osborn has focused on 'creating single colour formations' to make an image of many different household objects placed next to each other.

She uses the tile technique for all of her photos but uses different ideas; in some photos she focuses on colours, and in others she focuses on a particular theme or object. I like the tile composition that she uses because it allows us to appreciate the detail of the image presented as she usually photographs an object/person close up for each tile. I think that the reason for Lin taking pictures of sections of an object/person, close up is because she intends on allowing the public to see and notice every aspect of what she has used in the picture. Whereas if she was to take pictures of the whole object/person we would be able to notice the detail of what it is. This links to the tile technique she uses; the purpose of creating tiles could be to show the different aspects of one thing, in a lot of detail. 

My Lin Osborn inspired experiments:


Original photo of my college, that I took before the transformation.
Original photo (that I created using christmas ball ball's) that I used for my second experiment. 

My two experiments:







I completed the two experiments using Adobe Photoshop. I selected the squares/tiles using the Rectangular Marquee Tool, I then dragged the selected square to another page on Adobe Photoshop which had a grid on it to guide me as to where I'd place each section. 

1 comment:

  1. You have caught up with most of the work. Well done; but this is hopefully just a base to expand on, for it is not in-depth enough yet. Henrik Bonnevier is a good start and you are helping yourself by structuring it into sections. Also remember to maybe compare two pictures as this will help you expand your analysis.

    The best post is the Jan van Holleben practical task, but the analysis is far too short considering the huge interview we did with him.

    ReplyDelete